UNIT 3: CULTURE- POP, FOLK, LANGUAGE, RELIGION, ETHNICITY, AND GENDER - 13-17%
WHAT WE WILL LEARN
UNIT 3: CULTURE- POP, FOLK, LANGUAGE, RELIGION, ETHNICITY, AND GENDER
III. Cultural Patterns and Processes
A. Concepts of culture
1. Culture traits
2. Diffusion patterns
3. Acculturation, assimilation, and multiculturalism
4. Cultural region, vernacular regions, and culture hearths
5. Globalization and the effects of technology on cultures
B. Cultural differences and regional patterns
1. Language and communications
2. Religion and sacred space
3. Ethnicity and nationalism
4. Cultural differences in attitudes toward gender
5. Popular and folk culture
6. Cultural conflicts, and law and policy to protect culture
C. Cultural landscapes and cultural identity
1. Symbolic landscapes and sense of place
2. The formation of identity and place making
3. Differences in cultural attitudes and practices toward the environment
4. Indigenous peoples
KAPLAN: IF YOU ONLY LEARN 8 THINGS
Just to Help: Fill-In-the-Blank-Notes
Class PowerPoints and Notes
Day 5 and 6
Step 1: Complete the chart with information about each of the endangered languages. Then, add 3 more of your choosing. Plot them on the map to show where they are spoken.
Endangered Languages Explore the Language Map, or browse by country. Click on the videos and resources associated with each language to complete the information in the chart.
Story Maps - Language Explore the resources for each endangered language by clicking on the location of where each is spoken. More videos and articles to explore.
Step 2: Research why the following languages are classified as "isolated." Explain why each one is not endangered although spoken by relatively few people.
Step 3: Click through the PowerPoint below. Make sure to listen to each of the videos. All slides can be helpful, however you don't have to use information from every slide. You will be responsible for knowing everything on the PowerPoint for your notes. When you are done, check your Language Map Sheet with the answers on the last 2 slides.
Should America Have An Official Language? You will read / research about the USA having English as an official language and write at least a 2 page paper arguing the strengths and weaknesses of this argument. Choose a stance to take in your paper and support it with evidence. Paper will be turned in by 11:59 pm on Sunday night on turnitin.com. Follow MLA formatting and make sure to site your sources.
- After you finish the World Religions Map and Questions from Day 11, start on the Day 12 Assignment. We will go over the World Religions Maps and Questions once everyone has finished.
- You can work with a partner to complete this "Major Belief Systems in our World" assignment. However, you both will need the information to help you study for our Unit 3 Test. You can write it out on the paper I gave you or open up the document below and type it. Once you finish work on your Unit 3 Vocabulary and Reading Guide Questions.
Day 14 and 15
Based off the article below come up with 2 specific ways that religion determines gender or cultural norms.